Make It Fair Rally
On Saturday, October 1, activists from ETFO Waterloo and other local unions attending the Rally for Decent Work at Queen’s Park in Toronto. The rally was organized by the Ontario Federation of Labour’s Make it Fair and the $15 and Fairness campaigns. Five thousand workers and their families rallied today at Queen’s Park to demand meaningful changes to Ontario’s employment laws.
Make It Fair has been lobbying the provincial government over the last several months to make long-needed improvements to the Employment Standards Act and the Ontario Labour Relations Act. Some key demands include:
- Raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour;
- Reintroducing the card-check certification to make it easier for workers to join a union;
- Give workers 3 weeks, paid vacation per year;
- Allow workers to take up to 7 paid sick days per year;
- Increase fines for employers who are found in violation of the ESA or OLRA.
This week, the OFL held a Make It Fair Lobby Day at Queen’s Park – meeting with nearly 70 MPPs from across the province. ETFO Waterloo Vice President Jeff Pelich met with Kitchener-Conestoga PC MPP Michael Harris and Kitchener-Waterloo NDP MPP Catherine Fife.
Please contact Vice President Jeff Pelich if you have any questions or would like to get involved in the campaign.